Wednesday, March 3, 2010

This Spinning is Out of Control!

I was crazy spinning this weekend. Guess you could say I was on a roll... I spun up some really nice fibers, which I know will knit up just as wonderfully as they spun up. I went on Ravelry and found some small knitting projects that will be perfect for the fiber blends.

First spun up was this. It is a mohair and silk blend. 8 ounces of pure joy as it ran through my fingers. There are still a few pieces of the silk cocoon in the spun up yarn, but it is mostly blended through and through. You will love it as much as I do. 

Next up is this potluck blend of wools in a mulberry/blackberry combination. The roving was intense. The yarn looks a little muddied, but still beautiful. I'm thinking next time I get this, I will try Navajo plying it and maybe it will stay those brighter shades that the roving had. This is also 8 ounces. It seems to have spun up into more yarn than the first yarn pictured, so maybe silk is heavier?
This is a blend of alpaca, borderleister, and something else... not sure. There was still plenty of lanolin in it as I spun it up, so my hands were soft! Again, 8 ounces. I bought it off eBay last year, but the seller has her own website up. I'm going to have to go back and get some more of her goodness. 

 I finished the scarf I started last week on Sunday night during the Olympics closing ceremonies. I'm thinking it will look even lovelier paired with a matching hat and gloves. I'm working on the hat right now and found a pattern for a pair of mittens that will work for the yarn. It is so pretty and these pictures do not do the yarn any justice. There is gold thread that winds around the plies and gives just a hint of a shine and shimmer.

Monday, we had sun finally! I was able to get outside with the several pounds of llama fleece from last year and get the choicest pieces out to card and spin at a later date. The rest went into the compost pile. The llama was really dirty! I was coughing up chunks of dirt for almost a day. I'm not sure if I will get a full fleece again. I love the idea of cleaning and carding and spinning - almost as much as I love the idea of my very own farm animals - but it feels like so much work for not much to see.


I can't wait to see you, though. Only the day after tomorrow! I have one more forensic science class to teach after this one Thursday. We're burning fabric to test for synthetics and then look at different fibers under a microscope. I had a hard time finding any synthetic fabric to burn in my stash. I have so many cottons from making doll clothes, though. It was hard to part with any of it knowing it will just be ash soon.

See you Friday, Baby Sis!!

Love,
Your Older Sis
















No comments:

Post a Comment