Saturday, April 3, 2010

Monthly Roundup

I realized looking at my baby sis's post it's been a month since I posted anything that I've done or thought of doing. It's been a quiet month. Spring has officially sprung and the weeping cherry in our front yard is almost in full bloom. The days are warming up and thoughts of sheep and fiber festivals fill my head. The first one is this month in Vernon, CT. Though not as big as the one in Rhinebeck, I have had many good and exciting hours of fiber viewing at this festival. 101st_annual_sheep_and_wool_

I've done a little knitting with some of my handspun. This scarf is from yarn I spun up and showed on a previous post. 
I've done a little spinning. With some leftover baby camel from the last time my sis visited and some dark brown wool received in a trade, I made this hank:
It's just enough to make a pair of fingerless gloves with. Yeah me!

On another occasion, I spun this up:
This has silk, alpaca, and a variety of wool in it. It's the thinnest I've ever spun any yarn. There's 8 ounces of it. I really think I have enough to do a pair of socks.

Speaking of socks, here is the merino and silk yarn I spun up two months ago with a few other smaller specialty skeins in a pair of thick winter weight socks.
My 18 year anniversary is next month. There isn't anything significant I've found to give on an 18th wedding anniversary, so I've decided to make it the year of socks. I have one sock down, another to go, with this fingering weight yarn. It's a merino/possum blend from Cherry Tree Hill. Before I hear any further gagging, I did a search on possums of New Zealand and found they do look a bit different than the opposums of North America.
Finally, because I was so excited to try this out before finishing my dh's pair of socks, I started this pair. It's made from two skeins knit together, both handpainted with the same dyes, but because they are two different types of yarn, take the dye differently. One is a merino, the other a mohair. It's made by Fleece Artist/ Handmaiden yarns. If you can believe this, I found it on closeout! I was beyond thrilled when it arrived, glad I had ordered a few other colors so I could love on it some more. The yarn knits up soft and deliciously warm.I doubt I will get a case of second sock syndrome knitting these up!
Here's to a fabulous Spring, Baby Sis!!

Love,
Big Sis 

No comments:

Post a Comment